Sunday, May 23, 2010

Die Antwoord

If you and I have had a conversation about music in the last 6 months, chances are I brought up Die Antwoord. Their music errs on the side of tweeker tunes, so you really have to be in the right state of mind to enjoy it. But for those mornings that a little too much coffee has been consumed they're pretty money. For me it's the whole package that blows the mind. I'm still not sure if they're for real or not, and if it's the latter it's pretty genius performance art.

Let's start with this little impromptu taxicab performance...






Yolandi and Ninja: They're supposedly from a pretty poor neighborhood in South Africa yet have the most up to date ironic fashion nailed. Their sound is 90's techno house blended with hip hop and their debut album $0$ is produced by Hi-Tek. (WHAT?!)





Ninja is sleazy in a Terry Richardson kinda way. 6 foot plus, 2 gold incisors and covered in stick and poke tattoos that are so bad they've come full circle and are good again. He's the guy that pops up unexpectedly in a sex dream and you are so ashamed to admit it to anyone because it's obviously SO WRONG that you might be attracted to him on a subconscious level.
Or maybe that's just me.



But the real star of the show is Yolandi Vi$$er. She's like a sexy little South African alien baby. Getting down with the ladies isn't really my scene, but if it were this tiny dime piece would be my steez all the way.



I even cut my hair to look kinda like hers after my obsession started to grow. No lie. And with names like Yolandi and Chevonne, how could it not be a match made in heaven? We need to be best friends.






How old do you think she is??? 12? 21? 35?



We may never find out. And they may be really awesome comedy actors who never break character. The rumor is that Ninja is basically South Africa's Ali G and that all his tattoos are fake. Real or not, either way they are the most unique and talented duo I've heard or seen in a long time.

About Me

My photo
Just like you. Only different.